Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mommy and Baby get check-ups

The long-awaited check-ups in the Zook family finally came today!

First, I had my six-week follow-up appointment at the OB-GYN. After nearly six weeks of not being allowed to drive, do much stairs, carry things, push a stroller, etc, I was itching for the OK to get back out into civilization and feel like a human being again.

To show how desperate I am, I've already volunteered to scoop litter boxes today! (I doubt that will last long).

First, the only time I've ever been so excited for a scale. From my 9-week appointment in January to Delivery Day, I gained 40 pounds. From Delivery Day to today, I lost 31 pounds! Now, don't get concerned -- I'm not looking to lose the nine pounds I'm still carrying or some of my extra curves. I'm totally happy where I am now. AND, I haven't done ANYTHING to lose the weight -- the C-section took care of probably 20 or more pounds, plus I'm breastfeeding.

My incision has healed and a small patch on my stomach that's been sort of pins and needles recently is probably where a nerve was hit during the surgery and will likely remain numb and "paralyzed" forever. It's not a big deal. It doesn't hurt, it's not really that annoying and I'm not too concerned whatsoever.

Other than that, the doctor and I just talked about some things, had a nice discussion and that was that! I'm all done with that office for a little bit!

Now, we move onto Zack. He had a follow-up "well" visit with his pediatrician this afternoon. We love, love LOVE our pediatrician, by the way. He's got great energy, he explains things so well and is patient for all of our questions and concerns.

Anyway, back to the Z-man.
Remember, the dude was 9 lbs, 1 oz; 22 inches long at birth. At his first appointment at the pediatrician, he weighed 8 lbs, 14 oz. Today, he was 11 lbs, 9 oz and 23 inches long! Wowser! Must be all that good Mommy's Milk!

We talked a while with the pediatrician about Zack's Down Syndrome, what we can do, what we should do and feel so in control of all of this. We seem to be on the right track already, too. (More on our plans/support/contacts later!)

The pediatrician's office is getting a copy of Z's chromosome test (karyotype) from the hospital and is then going to send it to us. Apparently, and this was a surprise to us, the test results can tell us which type of DS Zack has (Trisomy-21, which 95 percent of people with Down Syndrome have; translocation, found in about 3 to 4 percent of DS cases and mosaicism, the rarest type with the most mild of symptoms and most positive of outcomes.) We are so excited to learn that piece of information -- it won't actually change anything, not how he will treated, not how we will approach this, not his therapies or outlooks. It's just a simple filling-in-of-the-blanks that we have.



Z-man also got a few shots, which was rough to watch, but he was such a trooper -- a few cries and then quiet. He soon fell asleep.

One of my favorite parts was when the doctor commended us for the poise with which we are handling Z's diagnosis and being new parents in general. That means a lot to us. We certainly can't hear that enough. It made my heart soar.

Truly is our Super Baby!

We'll update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment